3 cups chickpea flour. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or to taste. Ground black pepper to taste.
Subscribe to yellowsaffron for more great recipes ➤ bit.ly/yellowsaffronsub
Bring a bit of Sicily home with the panelle, delicious chickpea fritters in sesame seed buns! Find this and many more recipes with pictures on the Giallozafferano App (in English) itunes.apple.com/app/giallozafferano-recipes/id384387249?mt=8
Today we'll bring a bit of Sicily home with the panelle, tasty chickpea fritters! Let's make them together.
Ingredients for 10 servings
Panelle (chickpea fritters)
• 5 1/3 cups (500 g) of chickpea flour
• 3 pints (1,5 lt) of water
• ½ tbsp (10 g) of salt
• 2 ½ tbsp (10 g) of chopped parsley
• 10 sesame seed buns
• vegetable oil, as needed
• pepper to taste
You'll also need:
• 50 plastic plates
Pour the cold water into a large saucepan... and sift in the chickpea flour... then stir vigorously with a wire whisk to avoid any lumps. Make sure you're using cold water, otherwise it will go lumpy. Continue to stir and sift in the flour. When the mixture is smooth, with no lumps, turn on the heat... to medium, add salt and pepper... and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
As you can see, the mixture is simmering, it's critical that you keep stirring vigorously, to keep it from sticking to the pan and forming lumps. If there are any lumps, you can use an immersion blender, but reduce the heat to low. It will take at least 10 minutes from the time it boils.
The chickpea mixture is ready, now remove from the heat and add the parsley, stir, and begin to shape the panelle. In Sicily, these fritters are spread onto wooden rectangles, but we can use small plastic plates, about 4-4 ½ inches (10-12 cm) in diameter; we'll spread a small amount of the mixture onto each plate, to a thickness of 1/5-1/10 inch (2-3 mm). When the parsley has been incorporated, I suggest that you place cling film in direct contact with the mixture, because it hardens as it cools, making it difficult to spread. So take a spoonful of the mixture... and spread onto a plate; create a thin layer, without making holes. If the mixture has hardened too much and it's not spreadable, you can cut into pieces and fry.
As you can see, all the mixture has been spread onto the plates, so now let it cool and set for about 30 minutes, until you can peel it off the plate.
The panelle have cooled and separate easily from the plate... so fry in plenty of vegetable oil, I am using peanut oil, until nice and golden brown; then drain and place on kitchen paper.
The panelle are done, keep in mind that it's a Sicilian street food, traditionally served in round or oval sesame seed buns. So fill the buns with you chickpea fritters and remember that, if you have any leftover mixture or it has hardened too much, you can press into a baking pan, cut into slices or squares, fry and serve as a snack. From Sonia and Giallozafferano bye bye, enjoy your panelle and see you next videorecipe!
- Panelle (chickpea fritters) - Italian recipe ( Read More)
- How To Make Sicilian Panelle | Easy Chickpea Fritters Recipe | Food Made Simple ( Read More)
- Italian Panelle (Chickpea Fritters) by Cooking with Manuela ( Read More)
- PANELLE - Chickpea Flour Fritters - Sicilian Street Food [ENG] ( Read More)
- Chickpea Fritters (Panelle) ( Read More)
- Panelle - Sicilian chickpea fritters ( Read More)
- Panelle: Sicilian Chickpea Fritter | Typical Street Food from Palermo, Sicily ( Read More)
- NEW RECIPE: Pane e Panelle! Sicilian Chickpea Fritters Sandwich: Sicilian Vegan Street Food! ( Read More)
- PANELLE & MAFALDE | SICILIAN VEGAN STREET FOOD | CHICKPEAS FRITTERS | MAFALDA BREAD & LEMON SALAD ( Read More)
- Sicilian Chickpea Fritters | GCBC13 Ep39 ( Read More)
- Homemade Sicilian Panelle ( Read More)
- Cooking With Mama, Episode 1: How to make Italian/Sicilian Panelle! (How to make Chickpea Fritters.) ( Read More)
- Panelle (chickpea fritters) |Eatandwalk Palermo ( Read More)
- Sicilian chickpea fritters panelle | 西西里岛炸鹰嘴豆泥饼 | Sicilian street food | vegan recipes ( Read More)
- Sunday Brunch: Panelle ( Read More)
- How to Make Panelle Siciliane on NBC at the Milwaukee Festa Italiana ( Read More)
- Angelo The Sicilian Chef Panelli ( Read More)
- Chickpea Veggie Fries Recipe | Easy & Quick Recipe of Panelle | Italian Chickpea Fritters Recipe ( Read More)
- making panelle ( Read More)